Ensure that you follow these instructions provided by our oral surgeon after you have gotten a sinus lift in Norwalk, Connecticut. Dr. Imanuel Babayev and our team at Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery of Fairfield County will be happy to answer any questions and address any concerns that you may have, so please call us at 203-489-0980 to speak with us.
- For up to four weeks after your surgery, please avoid blowing your nose. You also need to avoid holding your nose when sneezing. We also recommend that you do not fly in a pressured aircraft, SCUBA diving, lifting heavy objects, inflating balloons, playing any musical instruments that will require you to blow into them or any other activity that increase pressure in your nasal or oral cavities for at least four weeks after surgery.
- Take all your prescribed medications, this includes any decongestants that are needed.
- In order to promote rapid healing and decrease the chance of getting an infection, you must keep your mouth clean. Begin rinsing your mouth with saltwater (dissolve one-half teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of warm water) the night of the surgery or the day after, and then continue to rinse your mouth either after each meal or four to 5 times daily.
- The first night after your surgery or the next day, use a soft manual toothbrush to brush your teeth. Continue brushing your teeth at least twice a day.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Your mouth and the surgery site will be tender and sensitive, so you need to eat soft foods for at least the first few days after your surgery. You can advance your diet as you feel more comfortable. If you received a bone graft, please avoid chewing or creating pressure on the graft site. For at least one to two weeks, do not drink alcoholic beverages or smoke.
- The fit of all your removable appliances, including partial or full dentures, must be checked after your surgery before they can be worn.
- You may experience swelling after your procedure. The application of a cold compress to your face near your surgical site will help to reduce the amount of swelling that will occur. When using a cold compress, ensure that you do not apply any ice directly to your skin at any time. One thing you can do is protect your skin with a cloth or towel. Cold compress application is most effective when done in intervals of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Please inform us if you experience any severe or persistent sinus or nasal congestion.